Hot honey lemon water, it’s the fever fighting arsenal of every Grandmother, pulled out as soon as you have a sniffle. (and if your Nana has Scottish roots there’s usually a drop of whiskey in there too).
So why is it touted as a magical cure all elixir? Quiet simply it’s those two ingredients are full of healthy benefits:
Natural organic raw honey is full of enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. It’s properties help kill bacteria and heal wounds. One tablespoon of honey contains 64 calories, a natural sweetener as well as being fat and cholesterol free.
Lemons are rich in nutrients such as Potassium, Calcium and Vitamin C. It is especially useful for its antibacterial properties (as you well know when it gets into a cut..ouch) and helps to maintain your immune system.
25 Benefits of Honey Lemon Water
- Excellent for fighting colds and flu
- Soothes a sore throat
- Helps fight a fever
- Suppresses a cough
- Stops constipation by stimulating the digestive system and hydrating the colon
- Helps with weight loss
- Aids digestion as lemon helps to break down complex foods and honey
- Fights viral infections
- Flushes out toxins and cleanse the liver helping you detox. Honey lemon water is not the only way to give yourself a full body cleanse; herbal remedies are becoming increasingly popular for this use.
- Gives an instant, safe energy and a metabolism boost
- Cleanses your urinary tract and prevents UTI’s
- Gives your skin a healthy glow
- Helps fight bad breath
- Neutralizes gas
- Reduces inflammation
- Maintains the PH levels in your body
- Boosts your potassium levels
- Helps reduce insomnia
- Can help reduce allergies
- Boosts your memory
- May help to reduce heart disease
- a natural source of citric acid, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation
- Provides relief from heartburn
- Help to rehydrate your body and replenish body salts after a hard workout
How to Make Honey Lemon Water
- Juice of ½ lemon,
- 2 tblsp honey,
- 1 Cup boiling water
In a cup, add the lemon and honey to the boiling water. Stir well and leave to cool.
If you want an additional shot of healthfulness you can add a tsp of cinnamon, turmeric or even a dash of CBG oil. CBG oil is used by an increasing number of people for its anti-inflammatory properties. Just remember to always do your research before trying out natural remedies like this.
In addition, turmeric can help fight depression, as well as acting as a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent.
Honey and lemon have been used for their medicinal properties for over 2,000 years. Why not start your day off right with the benefits of raw honey and lemon working in your favor.