It seems that no matter how clean you keep your home and surfaces they always return. So here’s a few ideas on how to get rid of ants in your house without using nasty toxic chemicals but if these methods we mention don’t have the required effect, it might be a good idea to consider learning from Adam’s Pest Control professionals, visit their website for more information. It can be quite tricky getting rid of ants so you need to take a few precautions before attempting anything.
- Make a bait of Borax and powdered sugar (one part Borax to 3 parts powered sugar). Fill small containers and place in the way of the ant trail.
- Alternatively place a mixture of 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp of borax, 1 tsp of water on a surface where the ants are active.
- Spraying vinegar on counter tops or areas where the ants are entering your home eliminates the chemical trail that they follow.
- Use a mixture of 1 tsp rubbing alcohol, 1 ½ tsp dish soap, place in a spray bottle and fill with water. Shake until bubbles appear and then spray.
- To tackle the ant hill, mix 1 part camphor oil with 9 parts denatured alcohol
- Scattering powdered chalk in the area that ants enter should repel them
- Ants don’t like strong scents. Sprinkling cayenne pepper, cinnamon, black pepper or using essential oils such as Peppermint, clove or cinnamon leaf often have good results.
- Use instant grits along the ants trail. The grits absorb the water in ants bodies killing them as they eat.
- Kill the scouts! Solo ants often venture out to check for good food sources. Kill it before it brings back friends to your spilled sugar.
- Seal holes or cracks where the ants enter with caulking.
See 3 additional for how to get rid of ants on this video.
If you have other tips on how to get rid of ants, we’d love to hear them in the comments below.