If you’ve ever wondered how to make lip balm then you might be happily surprised by how easy it is. Lip balm recipes can easily be customized to your own preferences depending on if you prefer it scented or unscented, firm or soft.
You can use regular lip balm tubes or any small container. Although personally I prefer the twist up tubes I can throw in my handbag.
For this recipe we are going to use lavender oil (you can learn how to make lavender oil if you so desire for this recipe) due to its hydrating properties. Lavender is a classic choice for these kinds of applications due to its calming smell and other qualities it gives a balm, but you can experiment with other essential oils to find the taste and smell you most prefer. (You can read about all lavender oil uses here)
- 1 oz Beeswax
- 1 oz Coconut oil
- 1 oz Shea Butter
- 1-2 drops of Lavender oil
- Coloured Mineral make up (if you want a tinted balm)
- Large saucepan
- Glass jar
- Lip balm containers
- On the counter line up your empty containers ensuring that if you are using tubes that they are twisted down.
- Place the beeswax, coconut oil and shea butter.
- Place the jar in a pan with about 2 inches of water in it. Bring the water to a simmer being careful not to get water inside the jar.
- Stir until the ingredients melt
- Remove the pan from heat but leave the jar in the water until after the next stage
- Add pinch of mineral make up and mix until you get the desired colour. Stir in essential oil
- Once everything is melted and mixed together quickly and carefully fill your containers
- Let containers cool, then store in a cool dark place. The lip balms should be good fro about a year.
- Clean up is easy: peel up and split wax and wash jar with hot soapy water.
If you prefer a harder, longer lasting balm, you could add another ½ oz of beeswax. If you prefer a softer balm, you can add an additional ½ oz of coconut oil. To boost the SPF factor, consider adding 2-3 drops of red raspberry seed oil (SPF 30-45) per lip balm container
If you haven’t tried making your own homemade body products before why not give it a try. These are very simple to make and make great gifts or stocking stuffers.