We are totally addicted to apple butter in our house. It goes on everything….oatmeal, toast, pancakes, banana bread and even in the middle of muffins before they go in the oven. It also smells fantastic as it cooks and will make you mouth water as soon as you walk through the door.
There’s two things however that I don’t love about making it from scratch
- peeling and chopping endless amounts of apples
- Standing over the pan to constantly stir
So how excited was I to find this recipe that eliminates both by combining apple sauce and your slow cooker! Now whenever we run out and our local apples aren’t in season, I can still keep the family happy.
- 4 qts. Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 7 Cups Sugar
- 1-1/3 Cups Soft Brown Sugar
- 5-1/3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5-1/3 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Allspice
- 1 Teaspoons Ground Cloves
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl
- Pour into the slow cooker and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the temperature to low and remove the lid. Keep cooking with the lid removed until all the excess liquid has evaporated (about 3 hours)
- Pour the apple butter into sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for about 10 minutes
If you try this recipe I’d love to here your thoughts on it so please leave a comment below.